Restaurant Advertising During COVID-19
COVID-19 has put a damper on the restaurant industry...and that’s an understatement. To open or close dining has been the most frequent thought among restaurant owners. As the stay at home order slowly lifted and restaurants and bars were allowed to open their in-room dining, there was a resurgence of COVID-19 cases sweeping the nation. We want to preface that the rise in house parties as well have not helped the situation.
An experienced analytics team at JP Morgan compared American credit card data and consumer spending habits with an infection tracker created by Johns Hopkins...and the results were alarming. There’s a direct correlation between increased in-restaurant dining spend and new COVID-19 cases.
As of today (July 13, 2020), Governor Newsom has ordered all of California to close indoor operations at restaurants.
Of course, if you’re a restaurant owner, this news is not easy to swallow. However, not all hope is lost. People still crave food from their local restaurants, so takeout, delivery, curbside pick-up, or drive-through are the best way to stay in business right now without risking the safety of your employees and customers, according to the CDC. Standing out from your local competition is even more important because people are spending less on dining and more on supermarkets.
Here are three things you should think about as a restaurant owner:
- Work on improving your takeout, delivery, curbside pick-up, or drive-through experiences
- Focus on your bestsellers to lower your food inventory costs
- Find creative ways to offer outdoor dining safely to lower the risk of infection as much as possible
When it comes to marketing your restaurant to your customers that live nearby, there are plenty of cost-effective things you can do.
Here are 10 cheap ways to advertise since budgets are especially tight right now.
- Door Hangers - for saving on mailing costs
- Brochures - for new, smaller menus for your takeout/delivery options
- 6 feet floor stickers - for customers coming in to stand apart from one another
- Window clings - for showing that you’re open for takeout/delivery
- Sneeze Guards - for countertops or for outdoor dining tables
- Labels - for takeout boxes
- Postcards or Flyers - for mailing coupons or promo codes
- Car magnets or car wraps - for visibility
- COVID-19 signs - for useful information and warnings
- Stand alone sneeze guards - for indoor waiting areas when picking up orders
We offer quick turnarounds. If you need help designing any of these items, we offer that as well.
As a small business ourselves, we understand that it’s difficult in these COVID-19 times. We need to stick together and support each other! Eventually, life will go back to normal and restaurants will open up fully and customers will feel safe to eat indoors again.